Caravanning is one of Australia’s favourite recreational activities. Where to find the best caravans, and how to find the top caravan brands, where to go and what to see are often the subject at summer barbecues.
Whether it’s a quick caravan camping weekend getaway or an extended adventure, travelling with a setup that makes a comfortable home away from home is a priority for many nomads.
And in Australia there are plenty of ‘grey nomads’ doing a loop of their land the moment retirement kicks in.
You might also like: 17 Reasons why camping is good for you.
Thanks to the latest innovations in Australia’s caravans, more comfort and convenient spaces are offered to travellers on the road.
But how do you choose the right van for your needs? And what are the best caravans on the market?
From value for money, quality innovation, creature comforts, build and layout there’s a lot to consider if you’re looking for the best caravans to suit your budget and style.
To help find the best caravan for your needs, we uncover the top Australian caravan brands and what makes them stand out.
Crusader caravans are renowned for quality innovation and state of the art manufacturing. They’re also a well-known brand for family caravans and off-road travel.
Established in Melbourne, Crusader have built a solid reputation for value for money and spacious family caravans. Their range is priced for every budget and can be customised to suit all lifestyles.
Crusader offers new and used caravans that come in luxury, family, economy, off road and innovative ranges. Some notable features of their best caravans include:
- Latest building methods and materials: CAD design technology and composite construction for extra strength and reliability. Crusader caravans are designed to cope with various climatic conditions, movement stress and general usage, with fibreglass under floor protection against road debris
- Extra living space: Higher 2 metre ceilings offer a more spacious feeling
- Better structural support: Cupboards are screwed to the wall from the outside to create a stronger structure designed for caravan weight and stress from road movement. Walls are also secured to the floor, not just to the side
- Full range of multi-terrain: Upgrade bundles are available for multi-terrain caravans and luxury living
Award winning luxury, custom and off-road caravans, Elite specialise in high quality new and used caravans. They have an in-depth understanding of the needs of Aussie caravanners, offering innovative and stylish homes-away-from-home.
The Melbourne-based company makes Australia’s first home theatre van. They have also added a family off-road range to their series since winning ‘Best Caravan Manufacturer’ in 2013 and 2015.
- Spacious, home-style design: Elite caravans fit full size washer dryers and split-system air conditioning
- Powerful off-road caravans: Dual beam hot dipped galvanised chassis, underneath full-length plate protection and the latest in green power sources with efficient appliances, technology and compact design
- Designed by Australia’s premier designers: Interiors can be custom designed, including layouts, to look like anything from the inside of a log cabin to a luxury apartment
- Self-contained caravans: Designed to suit families or couples wanting more space
For travellers after optimum space, Jayco’s caravan collection is ideal for families or couples/solo nomads wanting room to move.
The Jayco Expanda is packed with storage solutions and extra living space, combining the caravan and pop-top for streamlined travel.
The full range includes caravans for on-road, semi off-road and complete off-road, as well as luxury and custom options.
- JTECH suspension: The two-year extensive testing program ensures Jayco caravans are strong and safe for Australian conditions, with stability and precise handling
- Better towing capabilities: Increased ground clearance without increased ride height makes towing easier
- Reliable power supply: Built-in fused power converter for a reliable power supply in remote areas, made specifically for Jayco. The Setec power converter is a 12V self-sensing power unit with no switching required
- Feature-filled and budget-minded: Superior features for longer travel, including interlocking roof system for better insulation, spacious dining areas, double bed with orthopaedic design and multiple bunk beds to suit families
One of the fast movers in the Victorian caravan industry, Nova caravans are back-to-back winners of the caravan manufacture awards for the last few years.
Their caravans cater for family travel and off-road adventuring. However, the brand originally evolved around a luxury caravan range that continues to be popular with experienced travellers.
Nova’s Metrolink is a good example. Whilst not the cheapest of their seven-model line-up, it offers affordability without compromise with a full rear ensuite, spacious shower and queen bed.
- High-quality construction: Light weight but structurally rigid construction and double-glazed windows. The entire range will be upgraded by late 2019, built using smooth aluminium sandwich panels to allow for weight reductions of up to 100kg depending on the model
- Spacious and well-planned layouts: The Family Escape range can also come with triple bunks to achieve more space suited for families. The Terra Sportz off-road caravan also has 11 layouts available to choose from, whilst the luxurious Platinum Pride has 7
- RV wifi: Nova were the first caravans to be equipped with RV wifi to help travellers stay connected
- Smart and safe travel: Independent suspension makes muddy terrain travel smoother, keyless entry for security and solar panels for efficiency
Which caravan brand do you prefer and why? Leave your comments below!
Pin this post for future reference
This article is written by Jayde Ferguson, who recommends Lewis RV – a family owned company specialising in new and used caravans and caravan servicing to get you sorted for your next getaway. You can catch her on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jdferguson81/. Founder of Toward Music, Jayde is a music enthusiast and scripturient with a consuming passion to write.