Do you want to whiten your teeth and have a brighter smile?
I think most of us over the age of 50 would like to have whiter teeth.
But be guided by your dentist about teeth whitening procedures, and the best teeth whitening toothpaste is definitely the one recommended by your dentist.
This post discusses what you can do to keep your teeth looking brighter and whiter naturally.
Table of Contents
Teeth whitening home remedies
It’s a sad fact that our teeth take a hammering because of what we eat and drink.
But we use and abuse our teeth don’t we? Coffee, red wine, black tea, cigarettes, forgetting to brush them, neglecting to floss – they all play a part in staining or damaging our teeth.
There are a few things you can be aware of everyday …
- If you eat or drink anything dark it could stain your teeth – so it’s wise to brush your teeth after drinking red wine, or coffee – and if you can’t brush them, then swill your mouth out with fresh water.
- If you’re using a normal toothbrush then choose one with a gentle brush (rather than an abrasive one) and don’t brush too hard or you can damage your gums.
- Change your toothbrush, or toothbrush head if you’re using an electric one, about every 3 months.
- Have a dental check up every six months, along with a professional clean and polish. Not only for your tooth health but also your gum health because research suggests there is a link between gum disease and an increased risk of heart disease.
- Sugar and bacteria lead to plaque so try not to eat sugary foods – or drink fizzy drinks which can dissolve tooth enamel.
Foods that help clean your teeth naturally
Apples are great at helping to clean your teeth. I’m told they are like nature’s toothbrush. I’ve been trying to have an apple a day.
So too are raw carrots, celery and unsweetened popcorn.
Drink plenty of water in small amounts throughout the day.
How to make your teeth look whiter
Don’t wear pure white clothes or scarves close to your face.
Choose a medium coral or light red lipstick which help to make your teeth look whiter.
Don’t wear light coloured lipsticks as this will bring out the yellow more.
I like wearing pinky/lilac coloured lipsticks which I think help make my teeth look whiter.
Visit your dentist regularly!
You Might Also Like:
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links from which I stand to earn a small commission if you buy from them at no expense to you. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.