Fed up with wearing pantyliners? Have you thought about buying washable incontinence underwear instead? I know the name of it sounds a bit yukky, but actually washable leak proof underwear is designed for leaks both small and big.
I think if we’re honest, there are not many of us who have not needed pantyliners at some stage in our lives – whether we’ve needed leak proof underwear solutions for periods in early life, or panty liners for those untimely little leaks after childbirth, and then again after menopause.
What people are finding though is that washable incontinent underwear (which you can wash like regular underwear) is kinder to the planet as well as more comfortable to wear than pantyliners.
The best leakproof underwear for women has come a long way since our grandmother’s days when old rags would be cut up to line pants! And there’s now a variety of washable leak proof underwear available to buy online.
Selection of Styles – Leak Proof Briefs and Undies
Click on images for further information and to buy
Needing the best leak proof underwear for incontinence is, hopefully, some years off, but many women our age are beginning to look for pants, rather than pantyliners, suitable for small embarassing leaks after menopause.
But you should settle only for the best – the sort of underwear that can give you the confidence get you through the day dry, and free from the embarassment of those “eek, was that a leek” moments!
Washable Leakproof Underwear
With the best intentions in the world, and gawd knows how I’ve tried to avoid and then deny it, I feel more comfortable with a little extra padding in my pants.
I know I’m not alone because at some point in a woman’s life, whether it’s for period wear, or after childbirth and after menopause, some form of urinary incontinence is likely to rear its ugly head.
I’ve purposefully ignored the little leaks that come unbidden on an impromptu laugh or a sneeze, or a cross-your-leg type of moment that doesn’t quite get you to the loo in time. And yes in case you’re asking, I do do those kegel exercises regularly.
They just keep on giving throughout life, don’t they.
If it’s not one thing then it’s another, and as we’re all in this together girls, let’s not be shy but rather find great solutions.
(Note to your daughters – the washable absorbant pants discussed in this post are also suitable for light period leaks – best period underwear Australia and Worldwide).
Washable Incontinent Underwear that’s invisible
When I was contacted by Modibodi and sent some seamfree pee and period proof pants * I have to admit putting them to one side and thinking, “Nah, I don’t really need these, I no longer have periods, and I don’t want to get used to wearing that sort of thing – not for a while anyway.”
Then one evening I decided to start yoga. And I was worried. You know, the sort of worried where you realise somebody could be doing the downward dog right behind you and looking directly towards your nether regions. Well, we wouldn’t want any little tell tale signs of leakage would we? I was mortified at the thought.
So I popped on a pair of Modibodi washable incontinence pants – their popular leakproof pants for incontinence – and let out a great big sigh. I’m not sure if it was of relief or resignation. But there it was. I felt comforted.
3 Best Leak Proof Underwear Brands
I did some research to find some of the best pants for light urinary incontinence you can buy online. If you’re a little embarassed about buying leak proof pants in store, then purchasing them online allows you the reassurance of anonymity.
Modibodi Leakproof Underwear
I love Modibodi because they offer so many styles: Classic pants, seamfree, curvy, sensual, vegan, active wear and also swimwear. Check out all the Modibodi styles here.
I tried the Modibodi sensual hi-waist bikini pants, which are pee and period proof offering a light-moderate absorbency. Super comfortable and a great fit (I tried a 12/M which is true to size for me). They gave me the confidence to pose with purpose, and not worry about a thing. The pants didn’t show through my leggings, and nobody would have known that I was wearing anything other than a pair of knickers.
They have a soft, silky feel, and the lining is super-slim, only 3mm thick and it’s hard to believe the heaviest absorbency pants can actually hold up to around 20ml of liquid (up to 4 tampons’ worth to put it in period-speak).
I say bring it on! I feel safe wearing the lightest absorbancy moisture-wicking Modibodi pants, and know that I can stay dry, cool and fresh. I love my Modibodis.
The Modibodi pants range in absorbency from the lightest (which is merely moisture wicking) through to super light absorbency (can contain up to 5ml of liquid) and then other variants up to the most absorbent heavy overnight pants (which can contain around 20ml liquid).
What are Modibodi pants made of?
According to the manufacturers’ guidelines Modibodi washable incontinence underwearpant is made of the following:-
- Bamboo Viscose – Bamboo needs no pesticides or fertilisers and grows abundantly without causing damage to soil.
- Merino Wool – Renewable, moisture-wicking and naturally anti-microbial, this biodegradable is a super-fibre.
- Organic Cotton GOTS Certified and grown without the use of synthetic chemicals, organic cotton uses over 90% less water and has a far lower environmental impact than conventional cotton
Get 10% Discount on Modibodi
Modibodi Underwear 10% Discount
Limited Time Offer until 31/12/21 – Be Quick!
Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer, on sale, gift cards or bundle packs.
New customers only. Code can be used once only.
Type Code: FIFTY21 at checkout
How does leakproof underwear work?
How to Wash Leak Proof Underwear
- Wash before wear
- After use rinse in cold water. Don’t scrub or soak, just wash until water runs clear.
- Then cold wash, use a delicates bag if you can.
- Don’t use fabric softener as it reduces the efficacy of the product.
- Hang out to dry.
Speax by Thinkx – What you need to know
Speax by Thinkx is absorbent underwear for bladder leak protection — so you can replace pantyliners for good.
The manufacturer’s guidelines have this to say …
- Available in full brief or hiphugger styles.
- This absorbant washable incontinence underwear can hold up to 8 teaspoons of liquid.
- Speax underwear for bladder leaks is odour resistant and neutralizes unwanted smells.
- It’s absorbant and has a breathable moisture barrier that helps protect you from wetness.
- It’s moisture wicking with a quick-drying inner lining, so you don’t feel damp.
- Has the look and feel of everyday underwear and is a comfortable solution for light to moderate bladder leaks.
- Designed not to feel wet or bulky.
- Speax underwear is made with soft, breathable fabric in a variety of styles.
Speax by Thinx – Product Information
- Machine Wash
- Replaces pantyliners. No other protection needed! Our absorbent, quick-drying protection panties hold up to 8 tsp of liquid — a solution for light to moderate bladder leaks.
- Made by the same team behind Thinx period underwear, Speax has protection built into the underwear’s ultrathin gusset. The moisture-wicking, odor-controlling, and leak-resistant layers work together to keep you fresh and dry.
- Look and feel of everyday underwear. A comfortable solution for light to moderate bladder leaks, Speax underwear are made with soft, breathable fabric in a variety of styles. Our leak protection panties are designed not to feel wet or bulky.
- Controls odour. Our underwear for bladder leaks neutralizes all unwanted smells while trapping wetness behind a breathable moisture barrier.
- Easy care. Unlike pantyliners and other single-use disposables, Speax are reusable — saving you time and money. Just machine wash cold and tumble dry low. Shop more products by clicking our logo!
- Speax are ultra-thin, absorbent, and come in sleek, modern styles. With Speax, you’ll feel prepared, protected, and like yourself.
- Speax are everyday underwear discreetly shipped right to your door. Plus, they’re machine washable and reusable (just wear, wash, and wear again).
- Speax are a sustainable solution for daily leaks, so you (and Mother Nature) can breathe a little easier.
In an article on Healthline : “Thinx CEO Maria Molland Selby told CNBC, “People are increasingly concerned about what they put in their body” and “every one of our products is washable and reusable so it’s good for the planet.”
“Thinx was also one of the first brands that jumped on this shift in 2015. As a company selling a line of moisture-absorbent, comfortable menstrual underwear, the product asserts that the wearer isn’t only environmentally friendly, they’re also health-conscious. Traditional menstrual product brands therefore risk appearing out of sync with women’s new priorities, which situates periods as a broader social issue.”Healthline
Speax by Thinkx
Check out Styles
Bambody Washable Incontinence Underwear Explained
Bambody come in a bikini style and a hip hugging high cut leg. They’re ideal for wearing under activewear, so they’re a great choice for popping on to go to the gym or pilates and yoga classes.
Bambody – Product Information
- Lower rise comfort – this hip-hugging, low rise style is the “short” version of the popular absorbent panty
- Absorbent and leak proof – the front to rear leak proof layer backs up an absorbent crotch that holds up to 2 x tampons worth of fluid.
- Perfect nightwear … sleep easy with secure protection.
- Silky smooth – the bamboo/spandex fabric is soft, cool and breathable.
Check out styles
Panty Liners or Leak Proof Pants? The Verdict.
On the plus side I find leak proof pants more comfortable, covenient, and obviously better for my carbon footprint.
You have to go to the stores and buy pantyliners, and remember to keep them in stock. Whereas pants can already be washed and clean ready for wear in your underwear drawer.
No more having to dig around in the depths of your handbag for a new pantyliner.
I find that pantyliners can feel bulky and awkward. They definitely retain more odour than leak proof pants.
Single-use pads or pantyliners are made with non-biodegradable plastic that takes hundreds of years to decompost. So leak proof pants really do make a more sustainable eco-friendly solution.
What do you think? Are you brave enough to make a comment? Please share – we’re all in this together!
Pin this post for future reference
MODIBODI – NEW 7/8 RECYCLED ACTIVE LEGGINGS
Modibodi are excited to announce the release of their new 7/8 Recycled Active Leggings.
Buy them Here – Modibody Active Leggings
Their new 7/8 Recycled Active Leggings give you the freedom to lift, run, skip squat or strike a yoga pose while staying fresh and dry – and doing your bit for the planet.
Featuring their signature designer gusset with MODERATE-HEAVY ABSORBENCY, you can skip the pads, tampons, liners and even underwear!
These leggings also feature:
- Quick-drying fabric
- Adjustable drawstring high-waist
- Built-in leak protection
- Handy side pocket
- Comfy 7/8 length
If you’ve enjoyed this post you might also like:
How to Look Younger without really trying (5 Ways to Look 5 Years Younger!)
Happy Reading! Hope you enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post is copyright © Jo Castro/Lifestyle Fifty 2013 – . There are affiliate links in this post from which I stand to earn a small commission but at no cost to you. If there are gifted items they are marked with an * asterisk. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.