If you’re anything like me you want to throw on clothes in the morning without having to think too hard. You don’t want to look a mess, nor too fussy, and furthermore it would be nice to look slimmer than you really are. I find if I walk out of the house looking daggy, then I feel daggy all day. Unless I’m gardening!
Look Slimmer feel Fabulous
I don’t think it’s healthy to be overly concerned with looking slimmer, and if you’re fit and healthy then I’m not one to advocate dieting to look thin. But keeping in fashion after 50, keeping up with the times, and making my clothes work for me rather than against me is important too.
BUT if I can cleverly conceal my lumpy bits and look slimmer, then I’m all for it!
The girl below doesn’t have any lumpy bits, but let us be clear, a V neck is a slimming trick for anyone.
How to look slimmer without dieting
- If you’re going to wear jeans, then wear dark coloured ones. Navy blue rather than stone washed jeans will give you a leaner silhouette.
- If it’s any kind of fitted long pants you’re choosing, again think black or navy rather than light blue.
- A navy scoop or V-neck vest with a tailored navy jacket is slimming.
- Try a white scoop neck vest and a black jacket.
- Think about wearing deep V-necklines – for both dresses and T shirts – V necks draw the eye down and give a more slimmed down effect.
- We all hate camel toes don’t we? If you’re wearing capri pants, ponte pants, or cut-off pants, shorts or light jeans in summer, it’s not necessary to wear something long and billowy to cover up your nether regions – the simple trick is to go up a size so that they are a little baggier around the crotch area. Otherwise wear a beautiful blouse that falls below your hips.
- You can get away with so much if you find a fabulous fitting LBD that you feel great in, and then add some sparkly ‘bling’ jewellery. You’ll feel great, look slimmer and wear it again and again. But do buy the best fitting LBD you can, whatever the price. You might like to try a side wrap dress – it’s nearly always very slimming. LBD = Little Black Dress.
- I always think that blocked colour looks more slimming than prints. So keep an eye out for colour blocked dresses and blouses in your favourite colours.
- Dresses with darker panels down the sides will make you look thinner.
- Wedge heels, even if they’re small, will give you a little more (comfortable) height which will in turn make you appear taller and slimmer.
- Does anyone wear pencil skirts these days? A pencil skirt with a small slit at the back or side is still a very sexy and slimming option.
- If you have a big tummy then definitely consider tops and dresses that have a V-crossover at the front.
- As we get older it’s tempting to wear elasticated skirts or drawstring pants – don’t, just don’t!
- Clingy fabrics that hug your body (and all it’s glorious lumps and bumps) will accentuate your every delicious curve. But not in a good way. Stick to fabrics that skim, rather than cling.
- My daughter taught me this one: Don’t ever wear your blouse or T shirt tucked into the top of your jeans – its so very 80’s and accentuates a belly.
- Do you still have jackets with padded shoulders left over from the 80’s? Get rid of them. They give you a bulky shape
- An A-shape jacket that fits at the shoulders and bust, and then flares at the waist can help disguise a larger tummy.
- Blazers always look crisp and smart in cooler weather – much more slimming than a cruddy old cardie.
- I love trench coats that come down to about knee level and can be belted at the waist.
Or you might try a cropped trench – a shorter trench that’s also belted at the waist.
- A peplum jacket that’s fitted to the waist and flares over the hips can be elegantly slimming.
What tips do you have for slimline dressing?
Disclaimer: Image by icsilviu from Pixabay This post may contain gifted products marked with an * and affiliate links from which I stand to earn a small commission but at no expense to you. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Please read my full disclosure here.