How to style clothes you already have to create new looks, without buying new clothes, is an art.
Instead of shopping our own wardrobes for styles that look new to us, we’re much more likely to buy something new on a whim, wear it once and stick it in the back of our closet.
Isn’t that true?
If you’ve ever asked yourself, “How can I restyle clothes I already own?” then, Go Girl, because you’re halfway towards saving yourself some serious cash!
Most of us can be a bit lazy when it comes to everyday style, and if we’re honest we’ll generally pick out tried and tested outfits from our wardrobes – even if we feel they’re a bit well-worn and boring.
Which leaves a whole heap of unworn clothes loitering in our closets.
The trick to finding new outfits in your existing closet is learning how to mix and match the clothes you already have, to create outfits that are new to you.
Styling clothes I already own in my closet has become a bit of a sport over the last few years when I haven’t been out trying on clothes in stores during lockdown periods.
Now I use my own closet as a shop, and try on the clothes I already have to create different looks from old clothes.
How to mix and match clothes you already have, and how to style clothes you already have is fun, when you know how!
How do I create outfits from what’s in my closet without buying anything new?
The answer to this is : Shop my closet
Not my closet – your closet!
You need to take a good look at all the clothes you already have, and pretend theyr’e on a rail in a store.
You see, most women have a lot of clothes in their closets that they rarely, if ever wear.
Maybe you have some items that are just a little too big or too small, or maybe you just neglect them because you don’t know how to style them in a way that makes them look good on you?
Maybe you have clothes lurking on the shelves that you’ve worn only once?
Aren’t you tired of spending money on clothes that you only wear once?
Do you have a closet full of clothes but feel like you have nothing new to wear?
How to change your style with the clothes you have
This post will show you how to style clothes you already have so you can look stylish without breaking the bank.
I’m going to show you how easy it is to shop your closet, and how to style clothes from your closet in a way that makes them feel new and different.
I’ll also share some tips about what not to do.
In this post you’ll learn …
- How to change your style with the clothes you already have.
- How to put together outfits with clothes you you already have, and look brand new.
- How to update clothes you already have.
- How to make simple clothes look fashionable.
- How to wear a scarf to update an outfit.
- How to layer your clothes – an instructive video
How to put together outfits with clothes you already have
1. Layer your clothes
Layer, layer, layer especially in winter. Rather than bunging on a big sloppy Joe jumper, wear thinner garments but layer them.
Depending on the season you might layer as follows: Wear a slinky vest under your blouse, then layer with a cardigan or jumper, and top it all with a long line trench coat, before adding a statement scarf, and a hat. You’ll be amazed at how different you look.
2. Wear your show pony pieces
Start with a base outfit from your capsule wardrobe, and then add your show pony pieces to create a statement look. Don’t just save your show pony pieces for ‘best’!
3. Keep your formal jewellery on high rotation
Don’t leave your formal jewellery gathering dust at the back of a drawer – wear it! Pop on your formal, expensive jewellery to change your casual look to super elegant.
4. Mix-up your outfits
Find clothes that work together, and then mix them up for different looks. Don’t be afraid to try new combinations. Wear that casual blouse with a skirt instead of with your jeans, or wear that smart dress blouse you’ve been saving for best and pair it with your jeans.
5. Think outside of the box
Be different – Wear a dress over skinny jeans, or wear an old blazer from a trouser suit with a tee shirt and jeans.
Don’t always reach for the same clothes – wear a different style of blouse with your best jeans, then perhaps add a long length trench coat instead of a blazer.
6. Mix prints, stripes and textures
Be bold and beautiful. Mix patterns, stripes and textures to create new styles.
7. Create a mood board
Create a mood board of styles you like from magazines, and find inspiration from those styles to creat new looks with your existing clothes and accessories.
8. Get creative with your footwear
Don’t wear the same old shoes with everything. Get creative with your existing footwear to make your outfits look different.
- Try wearing a feminine maxi or a flirty mini summer frock with your ankle boots.
- Ditch the sneakers and wear your kitten heels with blue jeans.
9. Restyle existing looks
Restyle an existing outfit around one piece of clothing you love. Don’t use the tried and tested options you’d normally choose.
- Mix and match colors to create an outfit that is unique to you.
- Tunic dresses can look great worn over slim jeans or trousers.
- Wear a mini skirt over a pair of leggings.
- Take treggings (such versatile pants) to a new formal level and wear them with court shoes instead of sneakers.
10. Accessorise always
Add accessories for more personality – bright colored statement jewelry and colourful earrings are great ways to add your own flair. Don’t be shy! Be daring and different when choosing! Always add accessories like scarves, hats and bags to jazz-up your looks.
11. Change-up shapes and styles
If you normally wear baggy clothes, try wearing the clothes you might have put to the back of your closet – those that have a more fitted and tailored fit.
If you normally wear fitted clothes, then pick out that A-line dress and jazz it up by adding funky beads, a headband, and white sneakers.
12. Get organised to look different
Create a color palette for your closet. Then pick out the clothes you want to wear for the week, and put them on hangers in the order you’re going to wear them. Once you’ve worn them, put them back in the closet on their hangers but facing the other way. Then you know you’ve already worn them and you can decide on a differnt, rather than the same combination next time.
13. Purge your wardrobe
Get rid of anything in your wardrobe that doesn’t fit or make you feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror
Always wear what makes YOU feel happy! It might not always be what everyone else is wearing, but who cares! You’ll feel better and more confident with whatever you decide to wear 🙂
How to update clothes you already have
What’s better than wearing a new outfit?
Shopping your own wardrobe is a great way to save money. Plus, getting dressed up in something that feels new to you will make you feel more confident too!
Updating clothes you already have comes down to being creative.
- Don’t fully tuck a shirt into your jeans, half tuck it for a fashionable edge
- Wear knee length boots with short dresses
- Take a wide belt and cinch in your kaftan style dresses
- Roll-up the sleeves on your shirts
- Turn up the collar of your classic button down shirt
- Layer lots of necklaces
- Wear T-shirt under a strappy dress
- Buy some sexy lace sleeves to wear under your strappy dresses
How to make simple clothes look fashionable
So you want to wear clothes that look both fashionable and flattering.
However, this can be difficult if our wardrobe is filled with simple clothes that don’t always seem all that interesting.
Luckily, there are a few tricks you can use to make even the plainest piece of clothing look stylish.
- Turn your jeans up at the bottom to show your ankle, and pop on some fashionable sneakers on your feet.
- Take a wide leather belt and cinch in an old blouse at the waist to give it a different look.
- Leave a few buttons undone, and then tie your button-down-shirt into a knot at the waist. You can do this over jeans, trousers or a midi or maxi skirt.
- Mix different textures.
- Shop the thrift stores for inexpensive printed silk scarves in lots of different colours. Then you can bring colour and life to any plain, simple clothes without spending much at all.
- Wear trendy dark glasses – big, bold, daring or colourful!
How to put together outfits with clothes you alreay have
1. Create a rail of your favorite clothes, and then find items, you wouldn’t normally wear, to match up with them.
I’m sure you all have a few favorite clothing items that you love to wear.
So today, I challenge you to create a rail of your favorite clothing items. Use a rail in the spare room or buy an inexpensive clothing rail from K-Mart or Target, so that you can separate your clothes.
When you have five or six of your favourite garments; pants, skirts, dresses, or shorts, you choose, then look through the remainder of your existing wardrobe and find items that go with them. Try and find clothes that you would not normally wear, so that you create new outfits. Be bold! Be beautiful!
Hang them on the rail all together. Perhaps create a week’s worth of styled outfits that you can reach for and pop on without having to think too hard.
The trick is to be imaginative with what you’ve got. Don’t reach for the tried and tested, but think out of the box and try new pairings.
By doing this, you’ll be able to mix and match your clothes to create new outfits without having to spend a lot of money in the shops.
2. Only wear clothes that make you feel confident and beautiful.
To start off, it’s important to recognize that no one is perfect.
We all have our insecurities and struggles with self-image, and nobody has the perfect body.
But there are many ways we can work towards feeling more confident and more beautiful every day.
It starts with simply making sure you’re wearing clothes that make you feel good about yourself!
So go through your existing wardrobe, and with a very critical eye look at your clothes and take out anything that doesn’t serve you anymore. If it’s too tight, too short, too long, too anything, and you just feel pinched or uncomfortable in it, then give it away or take it to your local thrift store.
Thinning out your wardrobe will actually give you more, rather than less, choice, and will better help you to create new outfits from old clothes.
3. Mix patterns – wear a striped shirt with an animal print skirt, for example.
If you’re looking to mix up your style, why not try mixing patterns? It’s a great way to add some interest to your outfits.
For example, you could wear a striped shirt with an animal print skirt.
Or a floral dress with a geometric scarf.
By mixing different patterns together, you can create interesting and unique looks that will stand out from the crowd.
So if you’re feeling adventurous, give mixing patterns a try! You may be surprised at how much fun it is.
4. Add accessories to your outfit to spice it up; consider wearing statement earrings or a necklace with coordinating colors.
There’s nothing wrong with keeping your style simple.
In fact, there are times when a fuss-free look is exactly what you need.
But sometimes, you just want to add a little something extra to your outfit to boost your confidence and make you feel good.
If that’s the case, then accessories are the way to go.
Earrings, scarves, jewellery, headbands, hats – they all add personality and interest to an outfit.
So don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles and combinations. You might be surprised at how much fun you can have with accessories!
5. Layer different clothing to add interest – wear a flowy dress over leggings, for instance
It’s so easy to get stuck in a boring, repetitive fashion rut.
That is, until you learn how to layer different clothing items together!
The key is not wearing the same thing over and over again: for example, wear a flowy dress with leggings.
With this strategy, you’re guaranteed to look put-together – even if it’s just for running errands or grabbing coffee with friends.
6. Pick a jacket to wear with jeans.
Everyone has a pair of jeans in their wardrobe, and most of us will generally just wear them with a T-shirt or a classic blouse, topped with a sweatshirt or cardigan.
What can turn an old pair of jeans into a fashion statement, and something that looks different and new for you to wear?
For me it’s a jacket.
Find an existing jacket in your wardrobe and mix and match it with a complementing blouse or T-shirt to be worn with your jeans.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a short hip length jacket or a longer, loose-form jacket or a blazer.
Wearing jeans and a blazer is the perfect way to create a stylish, put-together look. The combination of a classic blazer with denim jeans can be dressed up or down, making it perfect for any occasion.
7. Wear a statement belt
Looking for a way to add interest and flair to your outfits?
Try wearing a belt over your dress, shirt, or even blazer!
It’s a great way to add visual interest and can help define your waist.
A note on scarves
Are scarves in style? Should I still keep a collection in my closet?
Whether you’re adding a scarf for warmth, or wearing a scarf as a stylish accessory, whether you’re hitting the beach, running errands, or going out on a date, a scarf is a must-have accessory, and will always be in style.
Any kind of neck scarf creates an easy way to look more polished. It’s also a practical way of keeping warmer or preventing hair from falling in your face.
How to wear a scarf?
A scarf is so versatile.
You can use it around your neck, or as a belt, a headband or hair tie.
- You can wear a scarf as a belt with dresses, jeans, jackets or trousers.
- You can wrap it around your neck in a myriad of different ways.
- You can drape it around your shoulders in cooler weather.
- Or drape a light chiffon scarf over your shoulders for some sun protection in summer time.
- There’s something very chic about an oversized silk scarf draped casually around your neck.
- You can tie or a colorful scarf around your ponytail or wear it as an Alice band.
- A hair scarf is a great way to keep your hair out of your face on a windy day, or to be worn as a statement piece tied around your head.
- It’s also an easy way to add color and style to something simple like jeans and a t-shirt.
There are so many different styles of scarves, from silk to rayon, short to long, patterned and plain, that it’s easy build up a collection in your closet from which to choose.
Adding a scarf to an outfit is both an affordable and versatile way of spicing up your look, whether it’s for work or play.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post How to Style Clothes you Already Have.
Fashion Tips for Women Over 50 – How to Look Sensational Everyday!
I love Trinny and Susannah’s videos about what to wear. They are truly clothes styling professionals, and they’ve helped over 5,000 women understand what to wear and what not to wear.
Check this video out on YouTube.
How to Layer your Clothes.
Disclaimer: This post may contain gifted products – which will be marked with an * and affiliate links from which I stand to earn a small commission but at no expense to you. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Please read my full disclosure here.