If we want to Live Life Get Active! That’s the advice we get from so many different sources these days if we want to live our best lives over 50.
And we know that if we want to live life to the fullest, our health is our most important asset.
But how can women over 50 lead a more active life when we’re always pushed for time?
How can we be active when our work is mostly sitting at a computer all day? Plus all our timesaving devices mean that we do less and less physical work around the house or in the garden?
Overall, how can we live life and get active without really noticing that we are doing more physically?
Live Life Get Active Move More. when you’re over 50
We may not be able to get to a gym, in fact many women over 50 probably don’t like gyms because we didn’t really grow up accepting them as the norm.
I for one can’t stand the thought of stale air and sweaty bodies.
Give me fresh air and a nice place to walk and my exercise is sorted.
But is it enough to be considered an active life?
Probably not with the amount of time I spend sitting down each day. Are you nodding along?
I need to remedy this and live life to the fullest while incorporating enough activity into my day.
21 Ways to be more active
Here are 21 ways to live life get active and move more without joining a gym when you’re over 50.
- Don’t pay a cleaner to do your housework, but do set aside time to dust, vacuum, bend and clean your own cupboards.
- Don’t just go for a leisurely walk. Do walk fast and hold your tummy in while you’re at it.
- Don’t take your car to the car wash and watch while someone else gets physical sponging your vehicle. Do buy the necessary wax and washing products and do it yourself.
- Don’t do all your shopping on the internet. Do get off your chair and go to the mall and do you shopping there. While you’re there have a fast walk around the centre too. Do unload your groceries yourself.
- Don’t pay to have a burglar alarm fitted. Do get a rescue dog to guard your house and take it for daily walks.
- Don’t hire a gardener to do your gardening. Do buy a lawnmower and a strimmer and also get down on your knees and do your own weeding.
- Don’t buy your herbs at the supermarket. Do grow your own.
- Don’t drive to the corner shop for bread and milk. Do walk or ride your bicycle.
- Don’t sit when you can stand. Don’t stand still if you can walk. Don’t walk if you can jog for 10 steps or so.
- Don’t take the lift. Do take the stairs.
- Don’t leave your bed unmade. Do make your bed everyday, and be energetic about shaking the duvet and pillows.
- Don’t order pizza. Do cook your dinner from scratch.
- Don’t park your car in the nearest parking spot. Do park your car far away from where you need to go.
- Don’t sit still at your computer. Do simple exercises at your desk and do get up and walk around once and hour.
- Don’t sit all day at your computer. Do find a way to work some of the time standing up.
- Don’t be a TV couch potato. Do get up during the advertisement breaks and touch your toes, or do another simple exercise to get your blood moving.
- Don’t look at your phone at the supermarket checkout counter. Do do your pelvic floor exercises!
- Don’t sit at your computer when making a phone call or answering the phone. Do get up and walk around while you have that chat.
- Don’t meet a friend for a coffee. Do meet a friend for a walk.
- Don’t take your grandchildren to a movie. Do take them to the park and play with them.
- Don’t sit around at airport terminals. Do walk around until your flight is called.
Women over 50 – Live Life Get Active Be Happy
Exercise doesn’t just mean working up a sweat. It does mean moving more – in whatever way you possibly can, and in doing so you may find that everyday happiness could very well be a fortunate by-product.
If we don’t want to take years off our lives, we have to be active. Living an active life can help control our weight, and raise good HDL cholesterol. It can strengthen our hearts, ease stress and help combat depression.
What can you add to this list for more ways to get active?