Generally, a couple of weeks before the big day I would head off to the shops with my Mum in England To Go Christmas Shopping. It was a much anticipated occasion, and woe betide if we hadn’t saved up enough money for gifts.
I would be wrapped up in a warm coat and scarf barely able to hide my excitement, as we sallied forth to the department stores of Exeter in Devon, or if we were feeling a bit flush then it might even be a shopping trip in London. I would have my saved-up pocket money jingling in my purse, and a list of recipients written in capitals on a piece of paper scrunched up in my little handbag.
This was big and very serious business. One day of the year. Generally conducted in just one shop.
A department store.
So when I was invited to the Giftorium opening at Myers in Perth for a look see into a unique concept in Australian retailing, I was immediately reminded of my youth, because Giftorium is inspired by international department stores.
Shop til you drop in Perth Australia and around the country.
I know finances are always a consideration, but believe me, with all the gifts you could possibly need for your family and friends under one roof – and in Giftorium’s case – on just one floor, it’s going to help make Christmas shopping a whole lot easier.
That’s good for our health right? Takes the stress out of things a bit.
No wandering from shop to shop panicking that our lists don’t get shorter.
Giftorium aims to bring back fun and theatre to Christmas shopping.
I can vouch that there is fun to be had at Giftorium, and during the Top Secret unveiling there were all sorts of things going on across the country at Myers stores.
In Perth Australia there were interactive displays, Gifticians and productician assistants to help with ideas and activities, performances particularly targeting children (think magicians, balloon artists and face painters) and a whole host of other excitements as well as eats and treats, sweet treats and a couple of vivacious elves.
How I would have loved all that as a child!
In my day the shopping trip was strictly business until the time came to stand in a queu for a long time, then we got to sit on Father Christmas’s lap, promise him that we’d been good all year, and quietly give him our Christmas wish-list.
Meanwhile at Giftorium, Mum’s can expect in-store events, in store performers, a whole lot of razmataz and best of all they can pre-book their child’s Santa encounter online, rock up and be taken straight to dear old Santa without a whinge-inducing wait. Too easy.
- There will be a Giftorium in all 67 Myer stores across Australia, and Myer National Events & Theatre Program in all 67 Myer stores.
- From 8 November, every Myer store will have fun activities for the whole family (on weekends and selected dates).
- To make shopping easier, Myer has developed a Personal Shopping Service centred on trained Gifticians and Producticians.
- On the Myer website there will be a Giftorium microsite to guide customers through the products and services including: Giftician appointments (select stores), book a time to meet Santa (all downtown stores), Same Day Elf Delivery service (Melb, Syd, Bris and Perth), and the Gift Finder.
- In the 4 downtown stores there will be pop-up shops from Benefit, Bonds, Fossil, R&A leather goods, Dilmah Teas, Kikkerland, Mr Men & Little Miss, Vista Print as well as a fragrance gallery.
- Across all Myer stores this Christmas, Giftorium will offer 2.2 million products, enough to fill the MCG with a total floor space across all stores covering 37,000 square meters (larger than the entire Myer Perth City store).
- 15,500 paper decorations will adorn the ceilings above Giftorium areas nationwide..
- Gifticians are gift giving experts helping customers choose the perfect present.
- Producticians will be on hand to provide product demonstrations and reveal the latest Christmas gift ideas, sourced from around the world.
- In select stores around the country, there will be demonstrations by major brands including Marvin’s Magic, SodaStream, Mr Men and Little Miss, Plumm wine glasses, Dilmah Teas and more.
- There will be the ‘All Wrapped Up’ Christmas Gift registry, gift ordering on iPads when product is not available in-store, Shop and Drop parcel service so you don’t have to carry your bags, and Shop, Wrap and Deliver service.
- Every weekend from 8 November, the all-new Myer Treat Street will be in the Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth stores where Roving Treat Street assistants will be offering free food tasters.
Handy ideas to ease Christmas stress
- Book a convenient time online to meet with a Giftician (appointments from 8 November)
- Book a convenient online time to meet Santa (from 8 November)
- Same Day Elf Delivery service: If you live and work in the CBD or within a 2km radius of the Myer Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth stores you can have your gifts delivered by a fleet of uniformed elves.
- Gift Finder – The Myer website has a handy feature that allows customers to link directly to Myer’s Top Gifts on the online store.
- If customers are stuck for ideas, Gifticians will make gift suggestions from the Myer 12 Themes of Christmas which are:
1. Dapper Dad
2. Miracle Mum
3. Glamour Gran
4. Trendy Young Things (gifts for teens & young adults)
5. Kids Cubby (toys and children’s gifts)
6. Food Fanatic (gifts for foodies)
7. Stocking Fillers (small gifts)
8. Techno Freak (tech & gadget gifts)
9. Fashionista (gifts for fashion fans)
10. Globe Trotter (gifts for travellers)
11. Paws Corner (gifts for your pets)
12. Hop, Skip, Juice (product for the health & fitness fans)
So go on! Enjoy the magic, buy your Chrissie gifts and be transported back to your childhood – better still, bring a child!
What do you think? Is Giftorium something you might give a try this year? Or where in The World do you do your Christmas shopping?
You might also like to read my lovely friend Malinda’s version of the Giftorium event and offerings on her blog The Style Within.
Until next time,