I’m not saying I was the perfect child who never put a foot wrong, but yes I had ponies, bikes and Barbies.
I did kiss a certain David behind the school shed when I was 9, when his girlfriend was at home with a cold, but I never smoked a cigarette until I was 20.
After a few wild years I went on to marry the love of my life, a different David. We took a deep nomadic breath to take on a mortgage, acquired (horror) a credit card, wandered around the world following ‘the job’ looking for utopia, living at times in leafy suburbs.
We lived at various homes on primitive construction camps where we were exposed to tropical diseases which most people think went out in the 19th Century. Often we had no phone, no clean water and drains that were dodgy. We lived an expat life not always luxurious but we got to enjoy exotic holidays. Sometimes we lived in draughty big houses with more rooms than style.
That much people know about me.
You might also like: Disconnected, a Memoir
What not many people know is that in days gone by, like seriously BC, I lived the life of a Rock Chick.
Whisky, wine, cigarettes and song. Pop stars, rock stars, dangerous liaisons, Fender guitars and a life on the edge with charismatic guitarists. Well alright … I’m exaggerating a little! Maybe it was like that for Jerry Hall 😉
You might also like : How to dress to impress
Aging Rock Chicks
The little bit of rock-chickdom I encountered was hell fun while it lasted – and it all had to do with a lifestyle, a look and a culture that was irreverent and fun.
Glam, bold, love me or leave me type of style.
So what do you think? Are we too old to try the the Rock Chick look after 50?
More than that err, can we still get away with badly behaved and irresponsible (now the kids have left home) not giving a rats arsical about what people think anymore. Can we be feisty for the fun of it, sleep in late, and stay up late on the wine? (good wine please).
Gawd – Actually, I feel exhausted just thinking about it 😉
You might also like : How to Dress Like a Rock Star at Redcliffe Style
- Just got out of bed hair.
- Smoky eyes
- Think Chrissy Hynde, Marianne Faithfull, Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton
- Skinny jeans
- Killer queen black boots and bling.
- Statement scarfs – velvet if you please.
- Tailored bright red jackets, or distressed aviator brown leather jackets trimmed with fur, or long black jackets trimmed with satin lapels.
- Big tortoiseshell or black sunglasses.
- Toss out Julie Andrews but crank up Debbie Harry as you sing out of opened car windows at traffic lights.
- Logo T-shirts with your fave band splatted across your boobs – or otherwise something to do with booze.
- Fluffy mohair not cashmere please.
- Think good girls turned bad.
- Flirty dresses layered over leggings or drainpipe jeans.
- Minis if you must.
- Black hats with wide brims worn at rakish angles.
- Layering always – a Rock chick never knows where the yacht might take her.
So what do you think Lifestylers? Over to you? If you’re on Instagram why not post a Rock Glam pic and tag it #lifestylefifty #rockchickdare and I’ll post the best on the blog.