For many people growing old is a hard fact to deal with. This post is going to look at how to make your face look younger naturally using hair and makeup tips for looking attractive at any age.
- How to look younger naturally at any age
- To have grey hair or not?
- How to style your hair to look younger.
- How to make your face look younger.
- How to wear makeup for younger looking skin.
- How to make skin look younger.
- How to look 10 years younger at 50.
- How to look younger at 60.
- Products that make you look younger.
Some women consider ageing a dreadful process and resort to cosmetic surgery. Personally I’m happy about getting older, but I do get asked many questions about how to make your face look younger naturally, and of course I test out and apply the tips I acquire! Why not 😉
Today’s post is going to look at some simple hair and makeup tips for looking great at any age but particularly how to look younger at 50 and beyond.
You might also like: How to look younger: 5 Ways to look 5 years younger than you really are
How to look younger naturally at any age.
My top tips …
- Get a great hair cut and colour that suits you
- Keep your skin well moisturised
- Apply a very good foundation
- Use a lip plumper and a light coloured lipstick
- Apply a rosy blusher
- Pencil in your brows
- And keep smiling!
I believe ageing is just a fact of life, and if we have good health then we are lucky indeed, and everything else is secondary.
But many people think of aging and immediately think of the deterioration of their appearance.
These days the options for retaining a youthful appearance are manyfold and if you want to look younger at 50 and beyond, then just following some fairly simple tips and tactics will help you look more vibrant and youthful.
There are some reasonably common sense considerations to take note of if you do want to look younger naturally. In fact you can take years off your appearance without resorting to painful plastic surgery or nasty needles and strange expensive potions.
Let’s start with your hair.
To have grey hair or not?
So you have grey hair peeping through at the roots?
It isn’t a bad thing at all.
Grey hair used to define women as old, and not really in a good way. Remember the old ‘blue rinses’?
Grey hair was something to be rallied against. Dye it, highlight it, use henna rinses, anything rather than admit to going grey.
But these days we need worry not.
I’ve loved looking through (and thanks to) Hueadrianapeluffo’s Instagram feed for examples of fabulous grey hairstyles below. Why not Follow?
Grey hair has become super fashionable amongst young and older women, and there are so many different shades of grey, both natural and aided with highlights or colour.
If you really want to hide grey hairs then you could opt for highlights to enhance your natural colour.
But if your hair wasn’t dark to start with then don’t choose a really dark colour as this can have an ageing effect and make you look older than you really are.
Rather choose warm shades that match your natural colouring.
Just don’t forget that even though grey is trendy, the hair style you choose can make or break your look.
How to style your hair to look younger
- Keep it well trimmed
- Add in some layers
- Wear bangs to disguise frown lines
What suits you? Is your hair thinning out?
- If it’s getting thinner, then keep it trimmed and at a length which makes it look thicker and more healthy.
- Soften your jaw line with a layered hair style cut to the neck area to draw the focus away from your chin and a sagging jowel line.
- Add shorter layers on the top of the head to add volume and take more focus off the jaw line and sagging areas.
- A smart bob is always a classic look. Take a look at this post: Short Hairstyles for Women Over 50
- To disguise the wrinkles on your forehead you could wear bangs to hide them.
- If you have long hair think about purchasing some heated rollers for luscious waves.
Current hair styles incorporate different ways of wearing bangs that give you increased options, such as …
- Wearing bangs cut straight in a full fringe.
- Or having them cut into a slightly wispy fringe.
- Or styling the fringe in a side sweep, to lightly sweep across and down your forehead.
How to make your face look younger
- Use a lighter lip color. Darker colors can make your features appear harsh and they can accentuate any skin imperfection. A soft pink or rose colour will look better than say, burgundy on most women over 50.
- Style your hair to draw attention away from any crow’s feet around your eyes.
- If you wear your hair long, then have your hair layered to refresh your appearance and give yourself a natural facelift in the process.
- Use a cream blusher to give your face a healthy glow.
How to wear make up for younger looking skin.
Using make up to get the impression of younger looking skin and a more youthful appearance has been used throughout the ages. Make skin look younger by keeping it moisturised.
- Use a good foundation that gives you a dewy finish rather than a matt appearance.
- Don’t wear too much make up.
- Stick to natural looking colours that enhance your skin tones and eyes.
- Find the right lipstick for your skin colouring.
How to make skin look younger
- Firstly, always apply a good moisturizer to your face to keep your skin looking fresh and hydrated.
- Apply concealer to remove any dark patches and age spots on your face. Use a creamy colour that contains peach or yellow undertones to remove the bluish cast under your eyes.
- Avoid concealers that are much lighter or darker than your skin tone, the shade is important so do test before you buy.
- Apply a slight amount of creamy foundation. If you use foundation, use a moisture rich mixture. Avoid using too much foundation as it can actually highlight the lines of your face making you appear older.
- If you don’t like foundation then try using a BB Foundation Cream – I like the Oil of Olay Total Effects 7 in One Foundation BB moisturiser.
- Avoid using too much powder on top of your foundation or you will highlight any flaws and wrinkles.
- Use a cream blush instead of a powder blush. Using a powder blush will draw attention to the lines in your face.
- Brush your face lightly all over with a sun kissed bronzer. I use Rimmel London Sun Kissed Bronzer Shade 022
How to look 10 years younger at 50
- Get a new hair cut.
- Research and then buy some new facial cleansing and moisturising products that are more suitable for your skin (which might be drying out as you age).
- Buy a new foundation that is more suited to your skin going forward.
- Buy a lightish coloured lipstick (pink, peach or dusky rose) and a lip gloss.
How to look younger at 60
By the time we get to 60 our hair has generally started thinning, and our eyebrows may have turned to grey or thinned to almost extinction! Our lips are probably thinning as well.
If you want to look younger at 60 and beyond, consider the following …
- Reshaping your eyebrows can work wonders to add definition to your eyes. If you have thinning eyebrows, and you want to immediately look 10 years younger then use a cosmetic pencil to fill in the sparse areas, or you can use a brow powder on the eyebrow area.
- Make your lips appear fuller by adding a touch of lip gloss to the bottom lip.
- Wear a lip plumper – I use ‘Light Shine Lip Plumping Balm’ – you can Buy it here and get 30% discount.
- Get a good hair cut and have your hair trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks.
Products that make you look younger
These are the products which I believe help me look younger.
We’ve covered may simple tips and tactics for maintaining a youthful appearance, and how to make your face look younger, in this post – but I’d love to know what tips you have for maintaining a vibrant and youthful appearance. Please share in the comments.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links from which I stand to earn a small commission if you buy from them – but at no expense to you. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.