What are the best pants to wear with ankle boots? Do you sometimes put on a pair of pants, and wonder what kind of footwear would look best with them?
Look no further! In this blog post, we’ll delve into the world of everyday style, and explore not only the best pants to wear with ankle boots, but also how to wear different kinds of pants with different kinds of boots.
Whether you’re choosing to wear dress pants, fancy pants or casual jeans with ankle pants this article has you covered.
In this blog post we’ll also look at why some pants look better with ankle boots than others. And we’ll chat about why, in the end, you should just wear what you feel great wearing and what you feel comfortable in!
From skinny jeans to cropped pants, from straight leg jeans to mom jeans, from wide-leg trousers to leggings, we’ll look at the various options and outfit ideas, and provide tips and hacks to help you master the art of pairing pants with ankle boots.
Get ready to step up your fashion game with the perfect pants-boot combination!
Table of Contents
What are the Best Pants to Wear with Ankle Boots?
When it comes to choosing the best pants to wear with ankle boots, think slimline. Skinny jeans, slim-fit trousers, jeggings, treggings or leggings are the most versatile options because they can seamlessly tuck into ankle boots, creating a long, elegant streamlined look.
However, wide leg pants or bootcut jeans can also look great with ankle boots especially if the pant hemline sits quite low on the foot of the boot to create a longer leaner look.
How to Wear Ankle Boots with Pants
Over the years, ankle boots have risen in popularity as a fashionable footwear choice, and they’re obviously a great option in cooler weather.
They offer a great way to add a touch of ‘classic style’ to your pants outfit while still maintaining a casual look. Plus you have different options when it comes to pairing them with pants.
You might choose classic boots, or boots with studs, chains, buckles or buttons.
When styling ankle boots with pants, there are several tips to keep in mind for a polished and fashionable look.
- Firstly, as I mentioned above, the best line of fashion attack is to choose slim or skinny pants that can be tucked effortlessly into the boots. This creates a streamlined overall effect.
- Next, consider the length of the pants. You could opt for cropped or ankle-length pants which will actually showcase the boots, rather than creating a long, lean overall look.
- Avoid wearing pants that bunch up at the ankles as this can look messy.
- Complement the outfit with appropriate top layers and accessories to complete the ensemble and maintain balance.
- Experiment with different pant styles such as straight-leg, or wide-leg and find out which style suits you best, and then pair them with ankle boots to either complement the look, or choose boots that will stand-out as a fashion piece.
How to Wear Wide Leg Pants with Ankle Boots
I love wide leg pants and wear them winter and summer. In summer I’ll wear them with flat sandals, but in the cooler months I like to team them with long boots and ankle boots. Here are 21 tips to give you some ideas about how to style your wide leg pants with your ankle boots.
21 Tips : How to style wide leg pants with ankle boots
- Opt for high-waisted, wide leg pants to elongate your legs.
- Choose ankle boots with a slim silhouette to avoid overwhelming the wide leg.
- Pair neutral-toned boots with colorful or patterned pants for a balanced outfit.
- Experiment with different heights of ankle boots, from low-rise to high-rise.
- Play with contrasting textures by pairing leather boots with flowy pants.
- Choose pointy-toe boots to create an elongating effect.
- Opt for boots with a heel to add height and elevate your overall look.
- Pair wide leg pants with ankle boots featuring unique details like buckles or studs.
- Choose ankle boots in a similar color family as your pants for a harmonious outfit.
- Layer with a long cardigan or coat to balance the volume of the pants.
- Add a fitted top or blouse to create a balanced, streamlined look.
- Play with patterns and prints by pairing printed pants with solid-colored boots.
- You might opt for ankle boots in a metallic finish to add a touch of glamour to your ensemble.
- Wear wide leg pants in a flowy fabric for an airy and relaxed look.
- Go for a casual vibe by pairing wide leg jeans with ankle boots and a cozy sweater.
- Consider a monochrome outfit with black wide leg pants and black ankle boots for a sleek look.
- Play with proportions by pairing high-waisted wide leg pants with chunky-heeled ankle boots.
- Opt for ankle boots in a contrasting color to make a bold fashion statement.
- Layer with a long duster coat or cardigan for a dramatic and elegant look.
- Pair wide leg pants with ankle boots featuring a Western-inspired design for a trendy outfit.
- Opt for ankle boots in a suede or velvet texture to add richness and depth to your outfit.
Can I Wear Cropped Pants With Ankle Boots?
Cropped pants or ankle-length trousers that taper mid calf can look great with ankle boots because they accentuate the boots and show off their detailing.
With slimline cropped pants feel free to choose the funkiest ankle boots you can find, because you can really show off the boots.
Although I prefer a classic style like the FRANKIE’s I’ve chosen in the above image, you might opt for boots with chain detail or studs, or boots that have more of a fashionable ‘attitude’ rather than a more traditional boot.
Can I Wear Wide-Leg Cropped Pants With Ankle Boots?
Although this style of pants is best worn with sneakers or sandals, you can definitely wear cropped culottes or wide-leg cropped pants with ankle boots that finish quite high up the lower calf.
This duo can create a trendy ensemble, especially if you choose boots that have a bit of edge, or character.
Wide-leg pants, wide-leg jeans or flares can also work well with tall ankle boots that finish a little further up the ankle.
How Do You Pair Ankle Boots With Pants?
Pairing ankle boots with pants is always a good choice for cooler weather, but you can also wear them in warmer weather as a fashion statement. Experiment with different types of boots in different heights, and styles to create a palette of original casual outfits.
Here are some style tips to guide you when pairing your ankle boots with pants:
- Firstly, consider the length of your pants.
- Ankle-length or cropped pants allow the boots to be showcased.
- Tucking skinny jeans into ankle boots can create a sleek look.
- Wide leg pants or culottes, look great with boots that have fashion features.
- Play with boots that have contrasting colors and textures that can add visual interest to your outfit.
- Experiment with white ankle boots – try them with pale blue washed jeans for a fresh summery look.
- Black ankle boots can help make your appear taller, especially if you wear them with black jeans.
- Wear neutral colors like tan or nude ankle boots with navy blue denim jeans for a classic look.
- Don’t forget to balance the proportions by selecting the right heel height that complements the pants and your overall style.
I love the current trend of ponte pants. These are slimline pants made of a thicker material than leggings. You can dress them up, or dress them down, and they can either be tucked into ankle boots or worn over the top of them.
Do You Tuck Your Pants Into Ankle Boots?
Whether or not to tuck your pants into ankle boots is a matter of personal preference and the specific style you’re aiming for. But tucking your pants can create a sleeker look, especially if you’re wearing skinny jeans or slim-fit trousers. It allows the boots to be the focal point and adds a touch of sophistication to your outfit.
However, leaving your pants untucked can also be a stylish choice and help elongate your leg line, particularly with wider-leg pants or when you want to showcase the hemline or details of your trousers perhaps with bell bottoms, or fashionable wide leg pants or palazzo pants.
Ultimately, the decision to tuck or not to tuck depends on your desired aesthetic, and choosing the best option to balance your overall ensemble. There is no absolute right style, only what you feel looks best on you.
How To Wear Cropped Pants With Ankle Boots
When it comes to wearing cropped pants with ankle boots, there are a few style tips to consider.
You can opt for flat ankle boots that have a shorter shaft height which allows the boots to be visible and creates a cohesive look, ensuring a clean and intentional break between the pants and the boots
Or you can opt for ankle boots that hit slightly above the ankle bone which meet the cropped pants at the point where the hem ends on your calf.
Vogue magazine has some super, high fashion, style ideas in this post about cropped pants and ankle boots.
Experiment with different styles of ankle boots, such as heeled or flat, to create various looks.
Lastly, consider the overall outfit and choose a top or jacket that complements the cropped pants and ankle boots to achieve a balanced and fashionable ensemble.
What Length Pants to Wear with Ankle Boots?
When it comes to the length of pants to wear with ankle boots, there are a few options that work well.
Firstly, skinny jeans or slim-fit trousers that reach just at or slightly above the ankle are a classic choice. They allow the ankle boots to shine while creating a clean and streamlined look. Alternatively wear longer skinny jeans that will tuck into the ankle boots.
Cropped pants, which hit anywhere from mid-calf to just above the ankle, can also be a stylish option. They allow the boots to be showcased and add a trendy touch to your outfit.
Additionally, ankle-length trousers or pants with a slight break at the top of the ankle boots can create a sophisticated and tailored appearance.
Ultimately, the ideal length of pants will depend on your personal style and the specific ankle boots you are pairing them with.
How to wear ankle boots with dress pants
Wearing ankle boots with dress pants can elevate your outfit with a chic and modern touch.
Here are some style tips to guide you:
Firstly, opt for ankle boots with a sleek and streamlined design that complements the dress pants.
Avoid bulky or heavily embellished boots that might clash with the formal nature of the pants.
Choose dress pants with a slightly tapered or slim fit. This helps create a balanced and polished look when paired with ankle boots.
Ensure the pants hit just at or slightly above the top of the boots for a clean and intentional break.
With more dressy outfits consider the color coordination between the pants and boots. Aim for complementary or monochromatic tones to create a cohesive and sophisticated ensemble.
How to wear ankle boots with jeans
Low ankle boots are a fabulous choice to wear with jeans because they compliment the casualness of denim. I love tan or brown leather ankle boots with pale blue denim jeans. However, if you’re going to an event, and looking to impress, then pairing white jeans or black skinny jeans with say, a white blouse and a trendy black leather jacket, then tall boots to emphasise the drama of the outfit would be more in order.
How to Wear Ankle Boots with Skinny Jeans
When it comes to wearing ankle boots with skinny jeans, there are a few style tips that can help you create a fashionable and balanced look.
Firstly, opt for skinny jeans that have a tapered or cropped fit, as they work best with ankle boots.
Avoid excessively long jeans that bunch up around the ankles, as they can detract from the overall sleekness of the outfit.
Consider rolling or cuffing the hem of your jeans slightly to create a clean break between the jeans and boots, enhancing the visual appeal.
Make sure the bottom of your jeans don’t fall just over the top of your boots because when you walk they will variously tuck in or not tuck in, and it could drive you dotty!
Always experiment with different ankle boot styles, such as heeled or flat, ankle length or a little higher, pointed toe or rounded toe, to suit your personal style and the occasion.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to try different ways to wear ankle boots with skinny jeans. Play with textures and colors by pairing contrasting or complementary shades of ankle boots with your skinny jeans to make a bold fashion statement.
10 Point Showcase List
Here’s a 10-point list showcasing the best pants and jeans to wear with ankle boots, along with reasons why they make a great combination:
- Skinny Jeans: Skinny jeans are a classic choice that seamlessly tuck into ankle boots, creating a sleek and streamlined look. They emphasize the boots’ shape and allow them to shine.
- Straight-Leg Jeans: Straight jeans offer a versatile option that complements ankle boots effortlessly. The straight cut provides a balanced silhouette and allows the boots to peek out stylishly.
- Cropped Jeans: Cropped jeans, such as ankle-length or slightly above the ankle, are specifically designed to showcase your ankle boots. They create a trendy and intentional look, drawing attention to your footwear.
- Bootcut Jeans: Flare jeans and wide leg jeans such as Bootcuts have a slight spread at the bottom of the leg, making them a perfect match for ankle boots. This style creates a harmonious balance, as the boots sit neatly under the flare.
- Boyfriend Jeans: Boyfriend jeans add a relaxed and effortless vibe to ankle boots. Their slightly looser fit provides a cool contrast to the sleekness of the boots, resulting in a chic and casual ensemble.
- Wide-Leg Pants: Wide-leg pants, like culottes or palazzo pants, can create a fashion-forward pairing with ankle boots. The voluminous silhouette of the pants contrasts with the boots, creating a stylish juxtaposition.
- High-Waisted Pants: High-waisted pants elongate the legs and create a flattering silhouette when worn with ankle boots. They provide a polished and put-together look, especially when paired with a tucked-in top.
- Leather Leggings: Leather leggings or faux leather pants add an edgy and sophisticated touch to ankle boots. The sleekness of the leggings complements the sleekness of the boots, resulting in a sleek and fashion-forward outfit.
- Paperbag Waist Pants: Paperbag waist pants offer a trendy and fashionable option to pair with ankle boots. The cinched waist creates a flattering silhouette, while the pants’ relaxed fit adds a touch of casual elegance.
- Culottes: Culottes are wide-legged pants that end between the knee and ankle, making them an excellent choice for ankle boots. The cropped length allows the boots to be showcased while the voluminous shape adds a stylish flair.
Remember, personal style and preferences play a significant role in choosing the best pants and jeans to wear with ankle boots. There are no right jeans, there is no right type of ankle boots. Experiment with different styles and different types of ankle boots to find what suits you best, and find the best combinations to help you feel confident, and get out of the door looking stylish.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different materials and patterns, such as leather pants, floral prints or boho style trousers, to add a touch of personality to your ankle boot outfits.
How to Choose the Best Pants to Wear with Ankle Boots
Choosing the best pants to wear with ankle boots can seem like a daunting task, but with a few key considerations, you can master the art of pairing them with aplomb.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect pants:
1. Length Matters: Opt for pants that hit at or just above the ankle bone to create a seamless transition from the pants to the boots if you are wanting to create a fashion statement. Otherwise let the pants flow down to the heel of the boot to give you a longer length in the leg.
2. Skinny Jeans: While there are many types of jeans to choose from, my personal preference when it come to creating a chic look with ankle boots is to choose skinny jeans. Look for a slim, tapered fit that accentuates the shape of your legs and allows the boots to take the spotlight.
3. Cropped Pants: Experiment with cropped pants that end just above or below the ankle boots. This style creates an up-to-date-modern look, especially with tailored or wide-leg options.
4. Wide-Leg Trousers: Balance the volume of wide-leg trousers with ankle boots by choosing a length that grazes the top of the boots. This combination adds a touch of sophistication to your outfit.
5. Tapered Pants: Tapered pants provide a tailored and polished look. Pair them with a pair of boots that have a block heel for some extra height, to create a sleek and put-together ensemble.
6. Leggings: Leggings are a comfortable and versatile option. Wear them with ankle boots for a casual or athleisure-inspired outfit. Opt for longer tops or layer with a cardigan for added coverage.
7. Consider Proportions: Take your body type into account. If you’re petite, choose ankle boots and pants in similar hues to create a lengthening effect. If you’re taller, embrace various boot heights and experiment with different pant styles. For curvier figures, opt for ankle boots with a higher shaft and choose pants that highlight your best features.
Remember, the key is to experiment, have fun, and choose pants that make you feel confident while complementing the style and height of your ankle boots.
Where to Buy Clothes and Boots Featured in This Blog Post
These are affiliate links and I stand to earn a small commission if you purchase from them – but at no expense to you.
- Salty Crush : Don’t forget to use the code LIFESTYLEFIFTY10 when you buy, and you’ll receive 10% discount.
- Salty Crush ships Worldwide.
- Free shipping on all orders over $100 in USA, AU and NZ.
- Salty Crush is an Australian Boho Brand (Sizes small to plus size)
Styling You The Label
- Styling You The Label : Don’t forget to use the code JoCastro15 when you get to the checkout, and you’ll receive 15% discount.
- Nikki at Styling You designs Australian made, non boring basics for curvy women. Clothing designed for curves in sizes 6 – 20.
- FRANKIE4 : Here you’ll find the most stylish, well designed and comfortable footwear designed by a podiatrist.
- Ships worldwide.
Finding The Right Pants to Complement Ankle Boots
Finding the right pants to complement ankle boots is fun, and it pays to experiment with different styles.
The choice of pants can either enhance or detract from the overall outfit when paired with ankle boots.
Considerations such as length, fit, and silhouette play a vital role in creating balanced proportions and highlighting the unique features of both the pants and the boots.
Whether it’s skinny jeans, cropped pants, wide-leg trousers, or leggings, selecting the appropriate style of pants can help showcase the ankle boots, adding an extra layer of sophistication and flair to the ensemble.
The right pants-boot combination can make your outfit go from zero to hero!
By following these styling tips and considering body type and personal preferences, you’ll be able to confidently pair your ankle boots with the perfect pants, creating fashionable and stylish outfits for any occasion.
Related Lifestyle Fifty Posts You Might Like
Disclaimer:This post “Pants to wear with Ankle Boots” contains affiliate links from which I stand to earn a small commission but at no expense to you. Any gifted items are marked with an asterisk *. Lifestyle Fifty Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some images in this post have been sourced with permission from Styling You The Label and Salty Crush websites. Please read my full disclosure here.